Thursday, March 20, 2008

Vegan Chocolate Cake


Last Friday, I was feeling a bit depressed. I thought it might be a good time to try out Jun's Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe. Jun is the most amazing pastry chef in Los Angeles. He makes kick ass cakes and pastries. So I am a little bit scared to try his recipe as I might not be able to give it justice. But i did.


VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

PRE-HEAT OVEN AT 350 DEGREES F.

2 cups brown sugar (dark is better)
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

COMBINE ABOVE DRY INGREDIENTS IN A BOWL. MIX WELL.

1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

USING A HAND OR STAND MIXER, BEAT ABOVE WET INGREDIENTS FOR 2 MINUTES.
NO MIXER,BEAT IT BY HAND WITH A WHISK FOR 4 MINUTES.

STIR IN DRY INGREDIENTS TO WET INGREDIENTS.

1 cup boiling water

STIR IN BOILING WATER TO THE MIX.

SPRAY 2-9 INCH PAN WITH NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY.
DIVIDE THE BATTER BETWEEN THE TWO PANS.

BAKE FOR 20-30 MIN OR UNTIL TOOTHPICK IS INSERTED COMES OUT CLEAN.

VOILA! I think I scored an "F" for presentation, but I would give myself a B+ for taste!

No comments: