Wednesday, July 23, 2008

You Have Got to Read This!

A Positive Spin

When someone comes to me for advice, I often find myself telling them that no one has the power to make you angry, you can only give up that power. I also find myself giving advice that discusses the importance of knowing that you have complete control over your emotions. With this in mind, I find that I rarely take this advice for myself, and easily become hurt when someone does something to me. No matter how many times I give the advice, I find it hard to take it myself.

Yesterday, while being in a positively grumpy mood because I let a situation take control over my emotions, I began a conversation about positive mindfulness, and present awareness. There is an Japanese saying that states “Everywhere you go, there you are.” With this saying in mind, I began to think about how it is not necessary to dwell on things that have happened in the past. What is the point at staying mad about something that is making you miserable? So, by becoming mindful of the situation, I resolve to let things go, and appreciate the time that I have with the people around me. No one has the power to make you unhappy, you can only LET people do that to.

- Mystic's Club

No comments: