Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sad News from Home...

I was surprised to see that my brother was calling me at 1:30am, Manila time. I was dreading to answer the phone because it might be news on something bad happening back home. But of course I had to answer. I was right.

Its sad that people resort to scams because of the poor economy in the Philippines. There's a group of people who prey on innocent (sometimes ignorant) house helps in posh villages in Manila. And this is exactly what happened. Someone called our house phone in the middle of the afternoon, when they're almost certain that the house help would be left alone. The guy who called said that my mom got into an accident and they needed money and jewelry to be brought to them so they can pay for the hospital bills. So our house helped forced open my mom's drawer, got cash and jewelry, then also got my brother's watch and took the cab to where the guy wanted to meet her.

*sigh*

Now my Dad's blood pressure is up. He's getting chest pains. And we have to deal with the entire police blotter and investigation. It just sucks that bad people couldn't fend for themselves and would resort to scamming other people's hard earned money to survive. I feel sorry for them. I just hope that they really needed the money for some important reason.

No comments: