Thursday, July 17, 2008

Passion


I moved to New York City hoping to pursue my passion in Theatre Arts. I wasn't really aiming to be in Broadway right away because I know I had a long way to go in terms of experience and training. But I was a bit hopeful to be a part of some off-broadway shows. But the city has an over abundance of talent. It's very difficult to penetrate the industry. And it calls upon not just passion and commitment but also your full attention and time. But New York is such an expensive city, and one cannot be a struggling actor in this place. Unlike Los Angeles, I have friends who I can lean on in times of hardship (or hunger! lol!), but I didn't want to go through that again.

Now I have a great job as an Executive Assistant of the President of one of the up and coming fashion companies here in Manhattan. She's an awesome lady and she's been mentoring me by bringing me to events, meetings and fashion show rooms just to get a good handle on how the industry is working.

But I still miss the theatre. I've watched a couple of my friends' plays the past months. And all I can do is day dream and wish that someday I could act again. Last night's dream urged me to post an entry regarding this passion of mine. It was a bad dream. I was part of a big production. I auditioned for the part and was given high praises. I was very confident. Then come opening night, as the curtains were drawn and I came out on stage. I froze and lost all my lines. For a performer, this is the worst that can happen.

When I woke up, i felt really bad and sad at the same time. But i know someday, I will set foot in one of the theatres either here in New York or in Los Angeles or some other place. Someday...

2 comments:

Coldman said...

you must be a good actor?! =)

Michael Andree said...

To coldman: yes, he is... he just needs to find a few minutes a day to find auditions and just do it.

To Francis: "Unlike Los Angeles, I have friends who I can lean on in times of hardship (or hunger! lol!), but I didn't want to go through that again." -- HMPH!*tear*