Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Lesson: Different Stages of Developing a Relationship

So I can finally say that I am kinda, in some sort of way, maybe, dating someone. There are different stages of developing a relationship he said. There’s Hooking Up, Hanging Out, Dating, Exclusively Dating and then finally Boyfriends. I guess I didn’t get that memo. As I ask my friends about it, they have their own version of these stages of developing a relationship. Mine is Seeing, Dating, Boyfriends. It’s quite simple really.

But I never did believe in hooking up as the first stage.

Seeing. This is the time that we get to know each other better. As for my pseudo lover, this might be similar to hanging out. We watch movies, have dinner, coffee or grab a drink, maybe go on trips to the beach. Just regular activities that you could actually be doing with you friends. It may be somewhat romantic and we may be doing some fooling around but nothing sexual usually happens during this stage. This would normally last a few weeks.

Dating. This is where we establish that yes, we indeed like each other. We somewhat have the idea of each other’s quirks and attitudes. We may not really agree on Mexican food and Spicy Indian Cuisine but we can decide to give it a try just to be fair. We now go on dates more romantic than the ones that we’ve been doing. Its doing most of the things that people in a relationship are doing. Now, this could be similar to Dating and Exclusively Dating combined. I believe that when I know I am dating someone, its exclusive. Don’t you think? I cant comprehend that line, I’m dating a few people. I can say, I’m seeing a few people. But when it comes to dating, this is the point that I have chosen from the people that I am seeing who I want to date. And that my friend, is always exclusive.

Boyfriends. Then finally you’ve come to the point where you both decide that you really do like each other…so much that you want to be with each other every minute of every day. Well, not exactly every single minute, but something like that. That you don’t mind his silly laughter or that he goes out of his way to step on a twig because it makes an interesting crunchy noise. Or that he makes this goofy expression before he reaches an orgasm. Maybe too much information. So now, you are in a relationship. You have a boyfriend. This is the time that you really establish the commitment, set up some ground rules and make some sort of schedule where each one of you is included in the incomprehinsibly busy lifestyle of Los Angeles.

Just some random thoughts.

No comments: