Friday, September 26, 2008

Sucks in the City

I am stuck at the airport for another hour, so I decided to purchase an hour of internet usage while waiting for my delayed flight to San Francisco. Looking around, I try to do a little sight seeing. When I realized that everyone around me is either straight, fat or not really my type. Most probably, they are not New Yorkers!

I was reading an article from The New Yorker or Time Out New York or some magazine that I picked up from this $18 haircut place in China Town (yeah freakin $18!!!). The article claimed that New York City has the highest quality of singles in the entire world! Yah, isn't that the main reason why I moved to NYC in the first place? Err, nope. Not really. But I just found it funny that NYC has its claim in that. Funny because I am still single. Ok, I must warn my readers or blog buddies as they call it (yeah all 7 of them!) that this is once again going to be one of my usual bitter missives. So here goes.

The article just reiterated that there is an overabundance of "high quality singles" everywhere you go. Considering there is that concept of NYC being highly interactive as compared to other cities. As soon as you leave your apartment, one would walk to the subway, ride the subway and then walk to work. In that 30-45 minute journey, you would have met your soul mate! See how easy that was?!?! But no.

I call upon my principle of "the next best thing." Yeah there could be that overabundance of high quality singles, but because of the overly high quality, one would never settle on that awesomeness of an individual sitting across you on the 1 train. Why would you? The next best thing might be in the next train that you go into during your transfer. What greatly sucks is that when I go on dates, we may be having the greatest time together, but more often than not, both of us might be thinking that the other 2 million awesome people are waiting for someone as awesome as myself! Great huh?

Also, NYC singles stay single longer as the article says. We focus more on our careers. Since we are not afraid that we would run out of awesome singles running around the city. Let's just focus on making ourselves more awesome by having an awesome apartment, awesome body and the most awesomest career!

Boom. I'm still single in the city where there are a billion other singles. So I ask, is it really a geography thing?

No comments: