Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Birthday Blues


In two days I will be turning 31. There. I've said it (or typed it). It wasn't so hard anymore, specially after the big 3-0. I wonder if it will be more difficult for the big 4-0. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Wow, 31 huh? It seems like it was a far fetched notion that I will be getting older and older every year. That every year my age would add another year. But I guess its one of those things that are inevitable.

I went for a job interview today. I wore my new Emporio Armani suit. As I was walking on 6th Avenue here in New York City, I felt a certain surge of responsibility and respect wearing grown up clothes. Since I am currently working for a Jeans / Fashion company, I usually come in wearing casual clothes. I can virtually wear anything I want, may it be jeans, t-shirts or even shorts. But today, since I had the interview, i wore my suit. I don't know if it was because of the birthday coming up, but I felt that I needed to grow up as I am growing old. I felt the need to make some major changes in my life as I turn another year older. I felt the need to become successful in the field that I really want to thrive in. Not to say that I haven't grown up, or that I didn't make any changes in my life since my teenage years, but I still don't feel that I have been successful on any of my endeavors -- especially my career.

It sucks to grow old. I don't like birthdays anymore. During my younger years (ugh! younger years?!?!), I've always been excited to celebrate my birthday as it would constitute food, presents and chocolate cake. As I grow older, the basic components might still be there, but there's also a need to add on achievements, accomplishments, future plans, family, etc.

I don't want to grow old. I've already grown up.

3 comments:

jeffie said...

hey francis!

happy 31st birthday!

multimedia greetings ko sayo ha... blog, chat, voicemail... nauna na yung personal appearance ko dyan hehehe...

enjoy!

talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!! Embrace and enjoy your 30s ... it's good to be more of a man ;)
Rob

Anonymous said...

maligayang bati ulit, hun!=)