Friday, June 20, 2008

Match.com and Me

Cancelled. The search is over. I have canceled my month long subscription to match.com, not because I found someone and we are now living happily ever after in a nice big house with a wrap around porch, white picket fence and a big yellow labrador named Pookey. Nope. It was just over.

I got tons of messages and winks from the site, lots of invitations for dates and some indecent proposals. Mostly from 98 year old men. Again, I have nothing against them, but it just ain't my thing. On the other hand, I met some nice people there. Three to be exact. You see, I still haven't brought out the slut in me and just grabbed anyone in there who was decent enough to date. I went through the traditional route of getting to know them through emails, chat and phone conversation before going out on a date. Still no dice.

Match #1. 33 years old, Black, 5'6", Real Estate Broker. He was 20 minutes late. If it weren't for the ever sweet and patient Mikee who I called and asked what was the appropriate waiting time for a first date, he said 30 minutes. So I waited. He's nice. But I guess not my type. Ed Hardy Shirt, Skinny Jeans and Prada sneakers. The one with the big red stripe shouting P-R-A-D-A!

Match #2. 30 years old, Asian, 5'10" Ophthalmologist. Yeah, good in paper huh? But was he actually good in person. Yes! He's cute, smart, great conversationalist, funny, very well rounded individual. And we actually went on a second date. Talked on the phone, sent text messages and emails. Seems like its going well. Yeah, but a week after the second date when we had dinner, the text messages were unanswered, call went to voicemail. And the doctor was history.

Match #3. 31 years old. Asian, 5'8" Theatre Actor. Might be a good match as we share the same passion. And he is a working actor in Broadway and Off Broadway. As opposed to some of us who are just happy with the title - Actor. We met once, had a great time, continued talking for a week or so. Then I got an email stating that the other guy that he met on match.com and him are getting serious. OK.

Yey for Francis. There. I gave it a chance. Ms. Maya Angelou, should I trust in love again?

No comments: