Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Why Are You Single?

I was catching up with a long time friend last night and he asked me that question. Hmmm...seems to be a very popular question for me these days (or shall I say years?). I have been single for more than 4 years now. Why? I don't exactly know. My favorite response is -- "I haven't found the right one," or "I'm not yet ready," or "I'm focusing on my career for now." Woohoo. Yeah, those responses might have a glimmer of truth in them, but to be quite honest. I don't have an answer to that question. Those responses are just generic responses by everyone who's been asked -- "Why are you single?"

I don't think its even a valid question. Questions should be answerable. That question just isn't. No one really knows why they are single. Well, unless they have body odor. I'm kidding. Even those with odor problems deserve to be with someone.

It got me thinking though. How about I actually try to think of an answer. Why am I single? The first couple of years, I was trying to recuperate from my break up with my ex. We were together for around 4.5 years. Then I started traveling. Then I moved to New York City and had to establish myself. After a year and a half of living in NYC, getting a new apartment and finding a great job, I am ready. I've focused on my career but then I haven't found the right one.

1 comment:

Noel said...

singehood can be both a curse and a blessing, it's a matter of how you take it. :)

6 months single. content. but i still think i don't deserve to be single. nobody does. :)