Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes to Chicken Rights!

Yesterday:

-Colorado defeated a measure to define life as beginning at fertilization

-South Dakota struck down a nearly comprehensive abortion ban

-Missouri approved a clean energy measure

-Washington approved physician-assisted suicide

-Michigan not only legalized medical marijuana, but loosened restrictions on stem-cell research

...and...

-California approved a gay marriage ban?


But hey, at least y'all voted to ban chickens from being kept in cramped cages.

So let me get this straight...chicken rights? Yes. GLBT rights? No?

I am an unwavering supporter of animal rights, but come on, this is ridiculous and unacceptable. I'm at a loss to see how the same electorate could approve both of these measures on the same ballot.

I am not familiar with the detailed politics of the Prop 8 struggle, but I want to learn what happened here because this has to be undone. Prop 8 is a black mark on my experience of this election. As much as I am elated today, I am equally saddened by the news coming from California.

No comments: